This page will host links to the recorded graduate writing webinars and other related handouts and materials.
Writing Assignments in Graduate School
This workshop will discuss some of the common types of assignments that graduate students in different disciplines can expect to encounter in their courses in Annenberg. We will explore what each type aims to accomplish, how it is structured, and how to approach it.
- Writing Assignments in Graduate School Presentation PDF
- Planning a Synthesis Paper (from Louisiana State University Writing Center). Page 3 “Recognizing Synthesis” was used.
Critical Thinking and Research Questions
This webinar/workshop discusses a series of analytical questions that can help with knowledge-building essential to conducting research. Strategies for creating and developing strong research questions are also discussed.
- Critical Thinking & Research Questions Presentation PDF
- Critical Thinking & Research Question Handouts
- Critical Reading Guide
Reading Strategies for Graduate Students
This webinar discusses techniques for managing reading workloads for graduate students, including how to read critically and strategically for academic purposes, how to tackle theory readings, and how to identify genres of academic texts.
- Reading Strategies for Graduate Students Presentation (PDF)
- Reading Strategies Handouts (PDF)
- What-How-Why Sample Notes (PDF)
- Journal Sample Reading (for activity)
- Theory sample reading (for activity)
Introductions for Academic Papers
An effective introduction that is both captivating and informative can be puzzling. This webinar discusses key features of introductions for academic papers, with particular focus on research papers.
Crafting Effective Thesis Statements
This webinar discusses how to develop an argument-based thesis statement as well as features of strong and effective thesis statements in academic writing.
Preparing for the Literature Review
This webinar provides an orientation to the task of writing literature reviews and to the literature review paper as a genre of writing. It will discuss pre-writing considerations, advice for starting and managing your search for sources, and strategies for reading critically. Part 1 of 2.
Writing the Literature Review
This workshop follows up on Part 1 (Preparing for the Literature Review) and is intended for students who already have a research question and have started gathering and reading sources for the literature review. Part 2 will focus on writing the literature review, particularly in organizing/structuring the paper, engaging with sources, and building coherence.
- Writing the Literature Review Presentation PDF
- Article Analysis Matrix
- Literature Review Sample Outline
- Mindmup: cloud-based mindmapping tool
- Mind mapping sample
- Sample Integrative Literature Review
Writing Strong Paragraphs
This webinar focuses on identifying elements of strong and effective body paragraphs in academic writing. This webinar also introduces strategies for building strong paragraphs that are focused, coherent, and well-developed.
Integrating Sources and Evidence
Successful academic papers rely on sound and credible evidence. But how can we make sure we’re using sources ethically without sacrificing style and flow? This workshop will describe common strategies in integrating sources, with particular focus on academic expression. We will also consider in detail steps to avoid plagiarism and to ensure that we understand ethical use of sources as professionals in training.
- Webinar Recording
- Integrating Sources and Evidence Presentation PDF
- Integrating Sources and Evidence Handouts
Revising and Proofreading
Tackle your final stages of writing by learning about effective ways to revise and proofread your work. This webinar will discuss how to check for logical flow of information, coherence, and argumentation, as well as proofreading strategies.
- Revising and Proofreading Presentation (PDF)
- Handouts and other materials
- Revision and Proofreading Checklist (MS Word): Use this editable and customizable checklist to help guide you through the revision and proofreading process
- Finesse and Polish Checklist (PDF): This document lists several items you should check and revise to improve the overall conciseness, clarity, and style of your written document.
Transitions and Coherence
Learn strategies for using transitions to develop papers that cohere. Focus will be on techniques for effective transitional/signal phrase use and building content bridges to improve flow.
- Transitions & Coherence Presentation (PDF)
- Transitions and Coherence Handout (PDF)
- Transitions & Coherence Sample Introduction Activity (PDF)
Writing Literature Reviews for CMGT 540
- Writing Literature Reviews for CMGT 540-Presentation PDF
- Handouts and other materials (pdf)
- Parts of an Article Worksheet: Use this worksheet to document key information from your various sources. This worksheet will help you identify important concepts, ideas, and arguments so you can systematically compile relevant information from various sources for the literature review.
- Literature Review Sample Outline: This model outline is only one way of organizing your literature review by theme. Remember that your outline must be specific to your research question.